Steers and heifers were lightly tested due to limited receipts during Thanksgiving week.
AND STOCKER CATTLE
(Federal-State Market News)
St. Joseph, Mo.
This week Last week 2017 (Hd)
118,200 368,400 101,900
Compared to last week, steers and heifers were lightly tested this week due to limited receipts during Thanksgiving holiday week even though some auctions did hold specials on Monday and Tuesday this week.
In the rolling hills of North Central Mo., at Green City Livestock Auction, demand was very good on backgrounded yearling steers weighing mostly 750 to 950 lbs with those weights trading in a very tight price range. In fact, the weighted average price for those steers varied by only 1.64/cwt. Reputation stock on hand there as a load this year weighing 830 lbs sold at 163.00, while last year’s top in the 800 to 850 lbs category was a load weighing 828 lbs at 164.50.
Very similar cattle — very similar price. Feeder cattle receipts were lower this week due to the holiday, however packers needed to purchase for a full harvest next week.
This week so far, packers purchased 111,133 head of fed steers and heifers in the 5-Area at higher prices than last week. Compared to last week, live trades in the Southern Plains were 2.00 to 3.00 higher at 116.00 to 117.00.
Dressed sales in Nebraska traded 2.00 to mostly 7.00 higher at 180.00 to mostly 185.00.
Wednesday’s Cattle on Feed report was bullish placements as the on feed was reported at 103 percent of a year ago; placements at 94 and marketing’s at 105 percent respectively.
Also on Wednesday, the cold storage report listed total pounds of red meat in freezers down 1 percent from last month and last year. Total pounds of beef in freezers were up 2 percent from last month and last year at 515.4 million pounds. Frozen pork supplies were down 3 percent from last month at 570.6 million pounds and down 5 percent from last year. Total pounds of chicken came in at 942.9 million pounds, up 8 percent from last year. Auction volume this week included 38 percent weighing over 600 lbs and 41 percent heifers.
Slaughter cattle trade mostly steady in the Southern plains, in Nebraska live sales were 2.00-3.00 lower while dressed trades fully 2.00 lower.
Boxed Beef prices as of Friday afternoon averaged 205.24 down 1.72 from last Friday. The Choice/Select spread is 15.34. Slaughter cattle on a national basis for negotiated cash trades through Friday afternoon totaled 40,915. Last week’s total head count was 107,771.
Midwest Direct Markets:
Live Basis: Steers and Heifers: 111.50-112.50.
Dressed Basis: Steers and Heifers: 177.00-178.00.
South Plains Direct Markets:
Live Basis: Steers and Heifers: 114.00.
Slaughter Cows and Bulls (Average Yielding Prices): Slaughter cows and bulls traded mostly steady with exception of the Southeast as much as 5.00 higher. Packer demand moderate. Cutter Cow Carcass Cut-out Value on Friday was 154.33 down 0.18 from last Friday.
Direct Feeder Cattle
This week Last week 2017(Hd)
759 762 352
Compared to last week: Feeder cattle and calves lightly tested with a higher undertone noted. Demand moderate to good. Supply included 78 percent over 600 lbs and 26 percent heifers. Unless otherwise stated prices are FOB weighting points with 2-3 percent shrink or equivalent and a 5-10 cent slide on calves and a 4-12 cent slide on yearlings from base weights. Current sales are up to 14 days delivery.
Feeder Steers Medium and Large 1
260 Head: Avg Wt 600 lbs; Avg Price 154.69; Current Del
89 Head: Avg Wt 700 lbs; Avg Price 159.00; Current Del
90 Head: Avg Wt 750lbs; Avg Price 145.00; Current Del
120 Head: Avg Wt 900 lbs; Avg Price 132.00; Current Del
Feeder Heifers Medium and Large 1
80 Head: Avg Wt 580 lbs; Avg Price 146.00; Current Del
70 Head: Avg Wt 610 lbs; Avg Price 142.00; Current Del
50 Head: Avg Wt 675 lbs; Avg Price 138.00 Current Del
Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
Share with Us – We’d love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article, and smart, constructive criticism.
Be Civil – It’s OK to have a difference in opinion but there’s no need to be a jerk. We reserve the right to delete any comments that we feel are spammy, off-topic, or reckless to the community.
Be proactive – Use the ‘Flag as Inappropriate’ link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Let’s block ads! (Why?)